Many adults of the baby boomer or older generations have boxes of photos that they rarely flip through. I don't know about you but I can't tell you how many I would find if I went through my parent's basement and attic. The photos remain inaccessible and are difficult to sort through and find what they are looking for. Next time you need a gift for your parents, I would consider digitizing the photos so they can view them on a computer - makes life so much easier!
Parents are becoming increasingly computer-savvy (I bet yours at least have cellphones by now), and many of them know how to view photos online and use software to sort photo albums. Giving them digital copies of the photos they took when you were young allows them to organize photographs by year, subject and other features so they can find what they need when they need it.
Why digitize photos for your parents
- The task seems overwhelming to them, so they are unlikely to do it on their own
- Allows them to find pictures they might not have seen in years
- Helps them more easily share photos with distant friends and relatives on social networking websites
- Makes it easy to create photo books and other photo gifts on websites
- Creates a digital backup of the photos and allows them to burn photos to DVD for another layer of security so they know they will never lose these images
- Allows them to give copies of photos to your siblings and others who may enjoy having a set of the family photos
When you want to digitize photos for your parents you can do the job yourself or use a photo scanning service for high-quality images.
Check out this free guide for more information on how to select a photo scanning service!
Photo Credit: Creative Commons by mescon